Thursday, May 14, 2009

If you don't try, you won't know!

I like to think that I am a pretty aware and on-top-of-it mom. I'm involved in my kids lives and provide opportunities for them to grow and learn, most of the time at least.

Recently we were at a doctor appointment for our youngest when the doctor asked me if he was doing a few things. I felt like a deer caught in the headlights as I thought "I haven't ever given him the chance to do that!!" The incriminating activities asked about were as follows: eating with the help of utensils, holding and moving a crayon on paper, and lastly, drinking from an open cup.

After sheepishly admitting to the doctor of my gross neglect, I decided to see if our little guy could in fact do these activites. The following is what I found:

1. Eating with the help of utensils. Now in my behalf, I have often given him the plastic utensils to chew on and play with. Does that count? Oh well, this is what happened.





Showing that he was indeed able to maneuver the fork, he was pretty pleased to keep this up throughout lunch!


One down, two to go!

2. Next was the crayon trick. Again, in my behalf, a vision of crayons marking up walls was not very appealing to me, but I guess he can't get too far in a high chair. Here we go!

Our middle son was able to be a helpful big brother by showing his younger brother how to color (dark blue marks are compliments of mommy trying to demonstrate earlier).

A quick taste, just to make sure he wasn't missing another opportunity...

then down to work, or play, really. Front of paper is good,

let's try the back. More difficult to color. Hmmm

Final product, soft marks on paper considered a passing grade for this boy's freshman attempt!


Two down, one to go.

3. Drinking from an open cup. Here we go! Obviously eager for this activity.

Pretty sad little boy as I take the water away from him. What did you think? Who would give a cup of water to a one year old when there are sippy cups available! :)


So, two out of three is pretty good for this mom. Hmmmm, is it odd that I feel like this was a test for me rather than our cute little guy?! In my book we are both more accomplished than when we began!

2 comments:

Erin said...

you are too funny!! pretty sure sippy cups were made purely for a mothers' sanity!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, how are you? I loved this post, so fun! I can't believe your little one is already one! My the time flies! Well, I have a blog now too, so stop by and visit! Talk to you soon!