Saturday, March 20, 2010

A whole year's worth!

Well, we've fiinally accomplished it!  We feel prepared!

Recently, The Big Guy Lowe and I have been feeling pretty impressed to make sure we are as self-reliant as we can be.  In our church, we are taught the importance of being self-reliant.    Recently, Julie Beck, the president of the church's organization for women has said "We become self-reliant through obtaining sufficient knowledge, education and literacy; by managing money and resources wisely, being spiritually strong, preparing for emergencies and eventualities; and by having physical health and emotional well-being."  I love this because it makes so much sense!  So, we have been taking account of our lives and trying to make sure we are being wise throughout each aspect of our lives...well, as wise as we can be in an ever-changing world!!  To read more information about being self-reliant go to www.lds.org/topic/self-reliance  or click here.

A little over a month ago, we went through each of our 72 hour emergency packs.  I was a little embarrassed to see that we hadn't updated them since we only had one child and he wore size 3T!  I took about two days getting clothes that would fit each of us and then dividing necessities that would be required if we were to be evacuated from our home with short notice.  Now, while I hope this will never happen, I believe strongly in the counsel found in scriptures that teaches "if ye are prepared, ye shall not fear."  In fact, I have this quote framed hanging just to the side of our front door.

After our 72 hour emergency kits were completed (I really should have taken a picture of the mess I made when I was sorting through everything!!!), The Big Guy Lowe and I decided on a company to purchase a year's supply of food for a family of six.  Nope, no announcements being made, just a family of three boys will eat a lot at some point!!  After much research, we selected a company that had great ratings, good food that we will eat, and an impressive shelf-life.

We now have that food stored in our media room closet.
I'm impressed just looking at the pictures!
I would like to send out a big "Thank You" to our wonderful friend Sue who helped me bring a pallet's worth of boxes up to the garage when the shipping company said they couldn't get it up our driveway.  I wasn't too worried at the time and just started carrying boxes into the garage.  Just like our wonderful friend, she saw me out there and soon headed over with a wagon and helped me get the rest of the boxes safely stored into the garage before it started raining.  The Big Guy Lowe was very impressed by the speed with which we moved those boxes.  It was just a few days later that he and I hefted those same boxes upstairs to our planned storage location!  I'll just quickly say that the next day we felt it!
There's quite a sense of security and accomplishment to be prepared.

1 comment:

kristenhcubed said...

Wow, good on you! Come help me now?