Saturday, April 2, 2011

Blankets for Japan

On March 11th 9.1 magnitude earthquake rocked Northeast Japan causing destruction and devastation only to be followed by a 33 ft. tsunami that furthered the death and destruction.  Learning about this horrific event caused great feelings of deep concern and helplessness as we sat safely in our homes halfway around the world.  Seeing pictures of the destruction was overwelming.  Reading of the thousands of people that were suddenly homeless and separated from family was heart wrenching.  Donations were requested through The Red Cross and other organizations, but the desire to actually do something to help was strong.

Then I heard about a Bishop in Gresham, OR that decided to do something to help...and he was asking for others to participate.  This is an excerpt from the letter I received through our Ward Relief Society. 

As you are well aware, the crisis in Japan has impacted many thousands of people. Every time a disaster such as this occurs many of us feel heart broken and want to do something to help the victims, but we don't know what to do.  We have a great opportunity to provide some relief to the Japanese earthquake and tsunami survivors.
A Bishop in the Gresham area works for a company (SEH) that has a factory in Shirakawa, which is in the Fukushima Prefecture (made infamous for the nuclear reactor catastrophe).  Virtually everyone at the plant was impacted by the earthquake and tsunami and a number of employees have missing family members.  His company is sending a shipment of food and supplies early next week to Shirakawa from their Vancouver site.
The weather is still very cold and thousands of people are suffering. They have no power and many of these dear people, including children are sleeping on cold floors of shelters without even a blanket to offer comfort. This Bishop has asked for help in gathering quilts and blankets that his company will then fly in a company jet to Shirakawa. Quilts and blankets would not only provide needed warmth but there is also a feeling of love and peace when one is wrapped up in a blanket.

This was something that I immediately knew I could participate in, and I felt such a passionate excitement knowing that our efforts would directly help individuals.  Our ward was participating, but I wanted to take in to our neighborhood as well.  We are blessed to live in a beautiful community with wonderful neighbors.  I was sure if others heard about this opportunity they would want to participate too...and they did.  We had just under a week to collect as many blankets and quilts as possible.  A sister in our Ward (congregation) had a few quilt tops that she was willing to donate if someone would finish them.  I accepted the challenge.  Well, I accepted the challenge and then called my angel-mother and asked if she would help too.  :)  Of course she was up for the challenge.  In fact, one of her dear friends, Maryanne, was in town visiting and the two of them put in countless hours finishing the quilts and then allowing me to find people to tie them.

There was such a feeling of service that entire week!  I was strengthened by my neighbors as they dropped off blankets and shared gratitude for being able to help.  I enjoyed tying quilts with a friend one evening as The Big Guy Lowe was out of town.  I loved watching my mom expertly sew the quilt tops to backs--knowing that people would be warmed and comforted through that action.  I appreciated my mother-in-law searching local thrift stores and buying quality blankets to donate.  The Book of Mormon prophet, King Benjamin, shared a true principle as he taught "...when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God."  (Mosiah 2:17).  It is a true principle.  We will feel good inside when we reach out to those around us becuase the Holy Ghost will point out those experiences in our hearts--to help us learn and continue in those actions...loving as our Savior, Jesus Christ, loves.

Here are a few pictures of the quilts/blankets that we started gathering.  I wish I would have taken pictures when we were ready to take the quilts to the collection site!  Our entire living room was filled with blankets!  Such a beautiful sight!!
We were requested to send a personal message or letter with each blanket.  It was an emotional experience thinking of the right words to include with each blanket. 
After the note/letters were attached, the blankets needed to be placed in plastic bags. 
Here is one of the quilts my mom and MaryAnne finished.  Beautiful!  I would love to have this quilt in my home, but love even more that it will be given to people that truly need it.
Fox 12 News of Oregon did a story on the blanket collection.  It was great to be a part of something so wonderful.  It was great to have our boys be aware of our actions and why we were working so hard to sew and collect blankets/quilts.  While we will most likely never hear about the impact felt from these quilts and blankets, the experience of reaching out to those in need was priceless. 

We can make a difference...each of us.

No comments: