
To this day, Windgate Sandstone walls--those beautiful red walls of sandstone are high on my list of things that make me happy. While doing the survival thing, I obviously spent a multitude of nights out in the desert.
I was one tough chick.
(Don't all girls think that about themselves when they are in their early 20s?)
I'll admit though, there were some experiences that caused me alarm while I was out there. And I might have even been overly cautious much more than once during that time in my life. Overall though, I wasn't intimidated by noises in the dark.
So time has elapsed and it has been quite awhile since those desert days. I now sleep in a very comfortable bed, in a home that I love, next to the man of my dreams (sigh) far away from the desertscape of the American Southwest.
And somehow, I've misplaced my toughness in the transition!
Now, instead of pointing out varieties of spiders--which to avoid and which are harmless, I ask the Big Guy Lowe to squish them for me. And the nights when he is traveling--I miss him so much. I hear those noises in the dark.
Somehow my toughness has become elusive, but nothing shows that more than my packing a,wait for it,
oh yea, a heavy-duty spatula as night-time protection!


(From what, you ask? Obviously overcooked steaks! The Horror! The Horror!)
Since my boys won't read this for many years most likely, let's keep this quiet. Because I think they still think I'm still tough.
:)










3 comments:
Okay, I may be alone here but I think that packing a deadly weapon like that to bed is more a mark of toughness than not. Remind me never to sneak up on you in the dark.
Oh Angela, I hear you. I too spent many nights in the deserts of Southern Utah with very little worry. Now, I hide things between my mattress that I think will protect me when I am alone and here those noises! Although the heavy duty spatula is a GREAT idea and one I will need to look into! I still think your tough...you have to be to have three boys woman!!
I love it!!
Post a Comment