Thursday, March 26, 2009

Grammy's (not so) Secret Garden

I love the springtime. I know that there is still a great deal of rain ahead before the summer gets here with those wonderfully sunny, hot days, but it's these springtime days that start that excited anticipation. We had a great time yesterday over in our Grammy's back yard gardens. There is always work to do there, and I love how hard our boys know how to work with their Grammy. I'm also grateful that Grammy is so good at providing opportunities for them to work with her. They love time in the gardens with Grammy, and I love that they love it.
While our oldest has worked hard in years past, this is our middle son's first real time helping out. Grammy always has the right sized tools for whoever is helping, and that made it even more fun as he worked like a pro!

Our youngest did his part holding down the gardening tools. That wheel barrow looked like it was ready to take off until he decided to sit in it!
Our oldest knows how to work on the more difficult jobs. Here he was given instructions and then given the opportunity to finish the project on his own. He's working hard repairing a stone wall.

Now he's working hard carrying out part of a tree that didn't make it through the winter.While there is always work to do, there are always things to investigate. Our oldest is a master bug catcher. He found a great beetle and wanted to put it in a plastic bag with some dirt.
After a conversation regarding how we all breathe, he decided to find a better home for the beetle in another part of the garden--a decision that resulted in everyone's sigh of relief!

Just to show that he could, our oldest climbed to the top of one of Grammy's fruit trees. Our middle son isn't quite there yet, but he wants to be!!

After about two hours of work, with everyone feeling good about what had been accomplished, Grammy brought out fun drinks for the boys and even some money as payment! The day had a poignantly sublime affect on me. My boys can work hard and have fun. My boys can get along with eachother and they love being outside. My boys love and are loved by my mom--someone that I love dearly and am eternally grateful for.

Thank you mom for all you have done for me and all you continue to do. You have given me a wonderful example of how to be a mom and I think you are wonderful.

1 comment:

Jan Hornberger said...

I love it!!! and "Grammy's" garden is the best!!! What a great experience for the boys. I always learn so much in her garden.