Before we got ready to leave, our son received a father's blessing. Because the Big Guy Lowe has been given the priesthood, meaning that he has the authority to act in the name of Christ to serve or bless others--and he is worthy to use it, he was able to give a special blessing to our son--specific to his needs and those things that his dad was inspired to say. It was a beautiful experience and our oldest son--in all of the wisdom of his six years--gave his dad a hug and told him how grateful he was to get a father's blessing. My mother's heart was swelling with love and gratitude.
Now it was time to go to school!

We arrived at school and quickly found his classroom. He was happy and a bit surprised to see other kids that he recognized from last year.

Now he was happy and starting to become calm with everything. We met his teacher and explained the curse of going by a middle name instead of a first name. She reassured that all would be well. We then found his desk which happened to be across from one of his best friends--Logan!! (It will be interesting to see how long those seats remain that way!!) :)

After following his teacher's written instructions on the chalk board, all of a sudden it hit me that my son was ready for me to leave--maybe even before I was ready to go. He was talking with his friends, laughing and looking absolutely happy. It really was time. I said goodbye and started to leave, something that I realized was harder for me to do at that moment than it was for my son to have happen. He was fine, and that made it easier, but there was still a part of me that again realized my son was growing up...quickly. I said a silent prayer for him to be protected and kind to others as I began my lonely walk back to the car.
The day was SO LONG! I didn't count how many times our middle son asked when his brother was going to get home or if it was time for us to get him from school. I was wondering too! I found that I really missed him. Boy, I have so much to learn as a parent.
Finally the time came for school to be out! Yippee!! Earlier we had decided to have our oldest ride the bus home because his good friend would be riding too--he was just at the next stop after ours. After waiting an exceedingly long time, the bus was FINALLY coming!

I was happy to see that he had the same bus driver as he had the year before--she is wonderful and always instilled a sense of comfort as our son would leave my protection and climb onto that bus. And then there was our oldest--all happy and comfortable in his new first grade status (also a bit embarrassed that his mom was taking pictures again!).

It was a successful day! Our oldest was excited to see his brothers and tell them (and the Big Guy Lowe and me) about his day. He wanted to know if they missed him (something that meant alot to me). He explained all about his day in first grade and shared great excitment that he now has TWO recesses a day and gets to eat lunch at school. Could anything be better?
Sigh. It's been a big day and it will start again tomorrow. We have a lot to be grateful for and today. I'm focusing on our oldest son and his wonderful growth into a bigger boy. There is a part of me that still feels a saddness about him growing up so fast--I can only imagine how I will feel at other milestones he has yet to meet. We'll meet them though, maybe with a tear, but hopefully with smiles too. Have I mentioned that I love my boys--and their father? I do.










1 comment:
Angela~ I remember when Drew left me that first day (in Arizona we had all day Kindergarten). Nicolas was a baby still, and I was emotional just because I had a new baby and my sweet daughter was my rock at that time. My entire body ached for her to come home. The house felt like it was even aching for her presence inside it. It was a difficult time that took me awhile to adjust too. Thank goodness I have Nicolas with me for a little while still! It is so nice to see that independence we instill in them come to fruition, but so hard at the same time!! You are a wonderful mother!!
Post a Comment