Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Potty training...maybe.

It's crazy to think that J will be turning 3 in less than a month.  These kids really do grow up.  Sometimes that makes me so happy, and then there are other times that it makes me a bit melancholy.  Okay, and then there are other times that I realize the amount of work that the next while will take, and I wonder if I can push it off a bit.

That's how I'm feeling about potty training child #3.

He's showing all the signs.  Asking me to change diapers that are wet or stinky.  He's becoming more consistent about when he asks me to help him too.  The big kicker this time around so far has been his HUGE fear of a regular toilet.

It doesn't necessarily look intimidating.  It's just a toilet, right?
But I'm afraid that this is more what my little guy thinks about the toilet.
Sorry, I couldn't help it.  This picture just cracked me up.  But really, each of our other boys have just used the regular toilet when they were ready.  We did have a little potty, but it was only ever used as a place to hide HotWheels, nothing more.

I have never tried to push potty training on the boys.  I'm a big fan of waiting until they are ready and then doing it in just a few days.  It's worked with the first two, shouldn't it work this time too?

HA!  Not so much.  Something I've learned in the years I've been practicing being a parent is that there are no guarantees when it comes to children following in their older siblings steps--especially if it is something you'd like them to do!

Well, I couldn't just ignore potty training completely.  So I'm thinking about making an effort.  In fact, we bought a new little potty--it's our Froggy Potty!  J thinks it's the coolest thing ever!!  Now if he would just go potty in it instead of just sitting on it.  (He is darn cute doing that though!!)

Until next time...

No comments: